Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tips For Getting 20+ Kills Consistently on Halo 3


Anyone can get good at this game with a little effort and knowledge. Knowledge is truly power. I was a total dud when I first became drawn to this game. I am now at the skill level where I can get MVP most games. I still have off games as I'm sure we all will have from time to time.

Here are my tips for you to go from dud to MVP:

1. Watch that radar
I can't stress this enough. You can't earn the kills if you are constantly being killed. I scan the radar approximately every 2 seconds. You will learn to do this without thinking about it and it will become easy with practice. If you see a blip in front of you and no one is there, be very suspicious. It may be telling you that your enemy is above or below you, but it could also mean your death is coming very soon! Fire a spartan rifle in the direction of the irratic blip as soon as possible. Many times you will be dealing with an invisible opponent and it is a fatal mistake to not react immediately. Firing your weapon will make them visible if you hit them. You could also throw green smoke if you have it. I never have it when I need it, so my policy is to fire away to be safe.

2. Know your weapons
Each weapon is capable of performing better or worse depending on the manner in which you are attempting to use them. For close range combat, a standard spartan rifle will work. sticky bombs are a good choice as well. Avoid using a Battle rifle or sniper rifle at close range as they are best suited for medium to long range combat. Use the energy sword lunge maneuver! When I began playing, it took me a while to realize how people were able to lunge at me from a distance and kill me with the energy sword. I did not realize that you do this by getting your opponent directly in your scope for a couple seconds. The indicator will turn red. Pull your trigger at this time and you will perform the lunge motion and easily kill with the sword. Always re-load guns by pressing RB after each combat engagement. If you do not do this, you will inevitably run out of ammo mid-fight and lose the battle. Just do it.

3. Sneak attack
Any time you can sneak up on an opponent without them noticing you, you will have the advantage. When you do manage to get close, don't blow it by using the wrong gun. A good 'ole fashioned beat-down is my preferred weapon in this situation (AKA press B quickly 2 times!). You will draw attention to yourself by firing a weapon unnecessarily. Also, it takes multiple shots to kill with the standard issue spartan gun. That could give your opponent time to react and kill you. If you do use a weapon please make it a shot-gun, as they will take out an opponent with one shot at close range. There are some instances where the shot-gun is your best friend.

4. Locate some sniper locations
The next best thing to sneaking up on someone is to find a few good sniper locations and move from one to the other while taking out as many opponents before they catch on to your hide-outs! I made the mistake of thinking I had found a spot where I could perch and nobody would find me. WRONG! It only takes a kill or two before your opponents know your general location and will be closing in to take you out. I recommend moving to a new location after 2 kills from any given location. If you are up against a sniper, you must take him out ASAP, because the damage to your team could be catastrophic. If you get taken out by a sniper, observe the bullet trail trajectory and when you respawn try to get to the source unnoticed and take them out! You may not have a sniper rifle to return fire from a safe point. If you can get a battle rifle, you can take out the sniper without venturing out into the open.

5. Develop your Battle rifle skills

A battle rifle is your friend. When I first started, I hated battle rifles. I couldn't kill anything with them. It turns out I was using them wrong. Battle rifles work the best at medium distance. I was trying to use them close up or far away. When you are aiming the battle rifle a small red dot will appear in the center of your scope if your opponent is in the "Kill zone". It takes practice, but you need to get that dot in your scope ASAP while maneuvering through chaotic environments. Stay calm. It's a mind thing and when you focus and don't get rattled by your opponent, you will find that your battle rifle killzone will be on autopilot. With all gun / rifle type weapons, I have found that aiming at the head is best. If the enemy is moving try to keep their head in your scope.

6. Toss some grenades

Use those grenades! I have found that most of my kills are from medium range. By throwing grenades first, I can make a big noise and kinda throw off the enemy. Grenades also damage multiple enemies if they are clustered together. I follow grenades with the battle rifle and typically do OK in medium range confrontations. I always select sticky bombs when I have them. When you sticky an opponent, evade them immediately, as they will try to take you out with them by running up to you! On the same note, If you are stickied......sadly, it will be over for you in 2 seconds, so run up to the nearest opponent before imploding, if you can! LOL.

7. Find a turret gun
Love that turret gun! I usually take out at least 3 opponents one after the other when using a turret. Be sure to rip it off the stand by pressing B after grabbing it to go mobile. The turret offers you more shielding from incoming bullets too. It will slow your walking speed down considerably due to its "weight", so don't be too far away from shelter.

8. Know where the missile pods are located
If you are on a map with a banshee and/or warthog, immediately locate a missile pod. The enemy will inflict massive casualties on you if you do not destroy these vehicles ASAP. By using the missile pod, you will get a red "LOCK ON" indication. When you get this, fire! 2 or 3 direct hits and their vehicle is a smoldering pile of shrapnel and your team members will love you for it! If you are piloting one of these vehicles and you hear a loud siren, you need to ditch the vehicle or swerve immediately. This tone is telling you that someone has you on lock. Don't forget that you can disable a vehicle with an energy drain. I did not know this when I first started out. It will render any vehicle dead immediately, so keep one handy if you can find one for this situation. If you are driving a warthog, do not get too close to the enemy. Your turret gunner will not be able to shoot the enemy at close range. This also makes you vulnerable to power drains and don't forget sticky bombs. They will take you out. If you are piloting a banshee, remember that you can fire missiles by pressing B. It took me a while to realize that I could do this. It may be helpful to know. Also, Use that LT button to speed up and evade. Better yet, the LT is great for going fast and splatting opponents before they can move out of your way! That is always a lot of fun. LOL.

9. Stay alive by jumping
Remember to jump spastically. This will make it more difficult for snipers to kill you. Definitely jump after each kill. Many times your opponent will throw a grenade when they know they are going to be killed. I can't tell you how many times I get killed from the grave, because I forget to do a post-kill jump and the enemy threw a death grenade. It will save your life. If you are about to be killed, try a sticky bomb or frag grenade as a last ditch Kill-from-the-grave method. It does work often enough. Nothing makes me smile more than killing from the grave! LOL.

10. Stay with the team if possible

Most of the time, I know that I am doomed if I get caught out in the open somewhere alone. I try to avoid this situation at all cost. Occasionally when I really got my game on, I can take out multiple opponents by myself, but I really advise people not to put themselves in that situation if it can be avoided.

11. Those portals are death traps! Always scan your radar before entering a portal. If you see red blips near the portal, move to a different one or take a back way up if all portals are compromised. Remember to throw a grenade or two into the portal for fun and maybe a kill or two!

Happy gaming!




More tips here




No comments:

Post a Comment